SOMWeb is a project for managing clinical knowledge, with the intention to provide a foundation for evidence-based oral medicine. To create a sufficiently large base of clinical data, nationwide collaboration is required, which in turn requires an instrument for multi-parametric data analysis based on a large number of cases. The purpose of SOMWeb is to develop the necessary infrastructure for such an instrument, based on the following:
- The use of techniques and standards in component-based program development and web services, to obtain a more transparent system with better support for reuse and global access to components and services;
- Knowledge management services should to as large extent as possible be generic, using standards for knowledge representation and implementation of knowledge-based systems.
This should facilitate knowledge dissemination, use of external knowledge sources and communication with other information systems;
- To increase IT-maturity, proposed methods and applications should be user-centric, and should be developed in close collaboration with end-users;
- The use of web-based tools for computer-supported collaborative work in the analysis and validation of data and harmonisation of knowledge carried out by clinical experts as part of evidence-based medicine, and as a source of information and remote consultation for other interested parties, e.g., care providers and care receivers; and
- Testing and evaluation of proposed methods and tools in daily clinical work.
SOMWeb is a collaboration between:
SOMWeb was funded by the Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems (VINNOVA) with 2.9 million SEK during 2004-2006.